I did not get this posted yesterday so really it’s Random 5 on Saturday <grin>.
1. Christmas Eve ~ Our church has two services. The first is at 10am and is “Royal Hours”. I love this service. The hymnography tells the story from Joseph’s perspective. At the beginning of the service Joseph is troubled. He wonders why Mary is doing this to him and bringing him dishonor. By the end of the service Joseph is “convinced that Mary will birth to God.” It has become a tradition in our church for the Youth to be the choir.
2. Christmas Eve~ We attended the beautiful Vesperal Divine Liturgy of St. Basil which includes many OT readings read by the laity. None of us participated (we got there too late! Oops!) but Honeybear ended up reading the Epistle that night. The Liturgy was followed by a Lenten potluck. There were some traditional Holy Supper foods as well as candles on the tables. Very beautiful. (No pictures! Sorry!)
3. Christmas Morning ~ More church! Matins and Divine Liturgy. I love Christmas at my church. It’s almost as wonderful as Pascha (Easter). We didn’t get up early enough to open any presents or even to check stockings. All that kind of stuff waited until we got home.
4. Our Christmas was very sci-fi/fantasy oriented with Lord of The Rings, Star Wars and Doctor Who related gifts:
5. Christmas Day may have come and gone but we celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas. We had a wonderful Christmas celebration with friends on the 2nd day of Christmas and for the 3rd a relaxing and doing nearly nothing day around the house. Honeybear won’t return to work until January 2nd but the home school girls and I won’t start back up until the 12 days are over.
Merry Christmas from my family to yours!
Come join us over at the Pebble Pond for this week’s Edition of Random 5 on Friday!