TOS Review: Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids
My girls have always been full of questions. What does this mean? Who was that person? What does that thing do? Sometimes my husband or I would get frustrated at reading aloud because of all the questions!
For questions about the Bible, I can now send my children to the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids. Questions like “what exactly was the Mercy Seat?” or “What is Horeb?” do not have to send panic through me as I scramble for an answer.
The Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids is a beautiful hardbound book measuring approximately 8”x12” with 212 full color pages.
Inside this reference book you will find:
- Reconstructions—drawings that show you how buildings and cities may have looked then
- Illustrated Charts—charts that provide “at-a-glance” views with brief descriptions and biblical references
- Charts—information such as names of God, names of Jesus, lists of Apostles, or musical instruments of the Bible
- Entries include KJV words--- words such as engaged also include the KJV translated word (engaged in KJV is translated as espoused)
- Pronunciation Guide—for those hard to pronounce words, the editors have included the pronunciation guide.. very useful for those unfamiliar names!
- Photographs--- gorgeous pictures to show you that events in the Bible happened in real places.
- Realistic Illustrations—full color drawings depicting real people and places
- Definitions--- of people and things and key bible concepts. Definitions include bible references.
Use the Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids as
- a concordance—nearly every entry has one or more Bible references. The Bible Dictionary tells you where you would find that person, topic or item in the Bible.
- a vocabulary builder—pick a few new words to learn each week
- a reference tool for dramatizing the story—my girls love to act out stories and create costumes. This is an excellent tool to use to find out what things actually looked like
My Thoughts: Although this book says “For Kids” right in the title, I have found the book intriguing. I’ve enjoyed looking through the pictures and charts and have learned from reading the text of the entries. My favorite aspect are the photographs. I love looking at the full color photos. My girls have enjoyed this book and I love seeing Supergirl sitting on the couch with this book. She calls it her Bible. We keep this resource on the coffee table so that it is readily and easily available to grab and look up something when needed.
The Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids retails for $14.99. You can order it from Lifeway Christian Stores. You can learn more about this gorgeous resource by clicking here. The publisher has included a Google Preview of the book.
Click on the banner below to visit the HomeSchool Crew blog and read what my fellow crewmates have to say about Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids.
Disclaimer: As a TOS Crew member, I received this product free of charge to review. This review is my honest opinion with, hopefully, enough detail as to why I liked or did not like a product so that my readers can make an informed decision. I received no compensation.