Extra Creamy, Extra Cheesy Mac & Cheese
The other night I made Macaroni and Cheese for dinner. I don’t usually make Mac & Cheese for our family meal (I usually just make it for the girls for lunch) so I wanted something a little more “grown up” and a little more classy.I wish I had taken a picture to share but alas we ate it before could digitally immortalize it.
When I make my mac & cheese from scratch I start with a basic cream sauce and add cheese. Then I just stir in the macaroni. This time however, I wanted to bake the cheesy pasta.
What I Used:
- Macaroni (I wanted to use all medium shells but I ended up not quite having enough so we had a mixture of small shells and medium shells. about 4 – 5 cups uncooked; cooked according to directions
- 6 cups Milk (actually I reconstituted non-fat instant milk for 4 cups and then used 2 cups of our 2% milk. I was running low on milk)
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 – 1 tsp garlic (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- (I didn’t measure the cheese…. all measurements for cheese are approximate)
- 4-6 oz cream cheese (I used slightly more than 1/2 of an 8 oz package)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
What I did:
- I had my daughter cook the macaroni and set aside. She made about 8 oz (1/2 of a 16 oz box) medium shells. We realized that was NOT enough so then she made 2 cups of small shells. About 4 cups of small shells or elbow macaronis or about 4-5 cups of medium shells would work.
- melt butter with oil in large heavy sauce pan; when butter is melted and bubbly whisk in flour. At this point I whisk in my seasonings. Cook and stir for about a minute or until flour/oil mixture is bubbly.
- gradually whisk in milk
- over med high heat bring to a boil (it should thicken as it begins to boil) (you should stir constantly but I stir very frequently or get a daughter to stir constantly)
- after reaching boil, reduce heat and stir in all the cheeses
- place macaroni in bottom of baking dish (I used my 11 X 15)
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni (I used a spoon to kind of mix it a little and spread the sauce evenly)
- I sprinkled a bit more parmesan and cheddar cheese over the top and baked at 375 degrees until the cheese was melted and browned. (about 25 minutes give or take)
I intended to serve this as the main dish but I did end up serving Boca Chik”in Patties with it. (These are vegetarian patties that resemble breaded chicken patties). I also served salad, carrots and green beans. This was a HUGE hit with my family with one daughter going back for seconds and thirds! We did have enough left over for daddy to take for two lunches. So I would say this would serve 8-10 people depending on the size of the appetite.
(This blog post has been submitted to the Blog Carnival The Christian Home hosted by The Legacy of Home)