Creamy Cheesy Cauliflower Potato Soup
I was desperate last week. We’d entered Cheesefare week, the last week before Great Lent begins for Orthodox Christians. I had some cauliflower that begged to be used up or else it was moving to the trash can. I needed it to be milk and cheese based and taste decadent because during lent we eat vegan soups.
This was a complete experiment. I had no idea how it was going to turn out. It ended up being a complete and total success. Turtlegirl declared it “postable and the title should include the words extremely delicious”. Tailorbear agrees “very delicious.”
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, cleaned and broken into bite size pieces
- about 6 potatoes peeled and cut into slightly bigger than bite size pieces
- 1 large carrot, diced (yes we peeled it too!)
- 1 Knorr Veggie Bullion cube
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- enough water to cover the veggies
What to Do:
- Combine cauliflower, potatoes, and carrot in large stock pot. Add water to cover veggies.
- When water comes to a boil, add in the bouillon cube and turn down heat. Simmer until veggies are are nice and tender
- When veggies are tender, add salt and pepper, stir in evaporated milk and the cheese soup.
- Continue to simmer until heated through, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
This nearly filled my 6 quart stock pot and nearly everyone had at least 2 bowls. I think one or two took a third helping as well.
When I make this again, I’m going to play with making a cheese sauce using butter, flour, milk cream cheese, cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese to substitute for the canned cheddar cheese soup.