Random Five on Friday ~ September 11th
This is not the first Friday of September but it is the first Random Five post for this month!
1. I don’t remember the day of the week. I won’t forget where I was when heard the news nor will I ever forgot how I heard the news. The phone rang. I was still in bed as it was just around 6:30 am here on the West Coast. Honeybear was active duty military at the time and he was away doing field training exercises. It was my dad on the phone wanting to know if “it” would affect John. Would they deploy him? Would he get to come home first? I didn’t know what “it” was. Then my dad told me. The towers were gone. Life was forever changed. But, life goes on. Different. Never the same but it goes on and 14 years later I still remember. My life wasn’t affected the way so very many lives were but I remember. I remember the terror. I remember the anguish. I remember those whose lives were lost.
2. BooBear has been scarce around the house for most of the month of August and the early days of September. I’m so amazed at the beautiful young woman she has become. She volunteered as a New Student Orientation Guide and she has a new job working as a community advocate. She’ll continue to be busy but this CA position just seems to suit her so well.
3. One advantage to BooBear being scarce is how much more I appreciated having dinner together this week as a family. ALL six of us eating dinner *at the same time* in the same room! It hadn’t happened since sometime in July, I think. Maybe early August.
4. I adjusted my Goodreads Reading Challenge from 40 books to 35 as I wanted to tackle some longer books. I’ve been reading quite a bit over the summer but over the last 10 days I have not read as much. Oh I’ve started reading but I don’t think I’ve finished anything for awhile. Wait. I did finish Mark Twain’s Pudd’nhead Wilson. Currently I am reading these fiction novels:
- War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells ~ reading this so that Tailorbear and I can talk about it with our When Worlds Collide Literature course.
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. ~I am reading it very very slowly. Mostly that is the book I am reading on my Kindle App on my phone when I am waiting for whatever and haven’t brought my Kindle with me.
- The Einstein Prophecy by Robert Masello ~ I picked this up as one of my Kindle First books.
- Immortal Plague (The Judas Chronicles) by Aiden James ~ This is my reading selection for September from the Kindle Owner’s Library. This one intrigue me but I haven’t read enough yet to know if I like it or if I think it offends my sensibilities. It’s based on the idea that Judas didn’t die but was cursed to walk the earth. He is searching for the 30 silver coins that he received for his betrayal of Christ.
- The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rawling ~ Ok this is a *re-read*. I’ve only read the series once but I’ve seen the movies several times. I loved the book series and have been wanting to re-read it for awhile. This one I am reading as a paperback.
5. We’re firmly into our school year though we’re still ironing out scheduling details. We’ve had a few off days and we still have to work out the best way to get daily chores done but over all I am happy. I’m continuing to use My Student Logbook for Turtlegirl and Homeschool Planet for the other two.
Post a Comment